Best deep tissue massage gun of 2021
Best deep tissue massage gun, are they essential to Pain relief ?
Percussive massage guns and massage therapy — it’s foam rolling turned up to eleven and, though it may look and sound brutal, massage guns are designed to reach deep into your tired muscles, speed up recovery and get you back to training at your best. A quick scroll of #recovery on Instagram will show you a roster of athletes pummeling their muscles in the name of better performance. And though it may look and sound brutal, these massage guns are designed to reach deep into your tired muscles, speed up recovery and get you back to training at your best. In the age of softly-softly self-care, this is the physiological version of tough love.
You can use massage guns before training, to prime your muscles for a session, or post-workout to ward off any potential DOMS. You’ll recover quicker, boost your circulation and lymphatic drainage, increase your flexibility and extend your range of motion – ultimately improving your performance across the board.
Plus, it’s super easy to use. Just point the gun at your fleshy target – around an inch away from your skin over whichever muscle you’re trying to loosen or warm up – and hit the trigger for instant relief. Move slowly up and down the length of the muscle for around 30 seconds – if you find a particularly sore spot (or ‘trigger point’), spend a little more time on it. And try not to wince.
Ideally, your purchasing priorities should focus around noise, battery life and quality. Generally, a higher price tag will indicate a more reliable product and, when fully charged, a decent massage should go for a few days to a week without a charge, based off around 15 minutes’ use per day.
Ready to banish your foam roller for good? Below, we’ve picked four of the best massage guns money can buy. Allow us to drill into the details.
How Do Deep Tissue Massage Guns Work?
The short answer: it’s not entirely clear how these devices work on the body. They may help relax sore muscles by stimulating the GTO (Golgi tendon organ), a structure within a muscle that inhibits contraction. Massage guns may also override the sensation of pain within a sore muscle in the same way you might if you rub your forehead after smacking it on a door jamb (this is what’s known as the “Gate Control Theory of Pain.”)
But the most likely mechanism of soft tissue work—whether it’s a foam roller, a massage gun, or the trained hands of a massage therapist—is neural, says performance coach and physical therapist, Dr. John Rusin. “Mostly you’re affecting your brain’s ability to sense tightness or laxity in soft tissue, whether it’s a muscle, tendon, or fascia.” The therapist’s hands (or the roller, or the massage gun) focuses your attention on the tight muscle allowing your brain to zero in on the tension and let it go.
Are deep tissue massage gun Vibrations Safe?
If you’ve ever used a vibrating foam roller or platform, you’re familiar with vibration therapy: you mount the unit, push a button, and let the device shake your fillings out. The back-and-forth oscillation is small, creating a pleasant, miniature muscle-quake inside the target tissues.
Early massage guns worked in a similar manner, vibrating the muscle to help it relax and stimulate blood flow. More recent models go beyond vibration, penetrating an inch or more into the target muscle: “It’s like a muscle jackhammer,” says Los Angeles-based massage therapist Art San. That’s percussion: a deeper, more intense stimulation of the muscle.
Effects of Massage Guns
Early research suggests that, when performed before exercise, vibration therapy is as effective at preventing soreness as traditional massage in untrained women. Does that mean it’s “effective” at preventing or relieving soreness, period? It’s not clear.
Massage guns increase blood flow, which shuttles nutrients into the muscle while also removing blood that may have pooled in the muscles—a common occurrence, often following long periods of inactivity, that can result in swelling in the extremities. If you use the gun directly after a workout, it may facilitate the removal of metabolites—waste products—associated with exercise, which can cause burning in the muscles.
“It’s an out-with-the-bad, in-with-the-good effect,” says Rusin, similar to what you can achieve with foam rolling, yoga, and light exercise.
Best way to use a deep tissue massage gun?
“With massage guns, a little goes a long way,” says San, who works with MMA fighters, NFL players, and other elite athletes. 1-2 minutes on a large muscle group—like the quadriceps—is plenty.
“You don’t want to over-stimulate the muscle,” he explains. Excessive use drives fluid into the muscle without allowing it to flow out again. “It’s a powerful tool, so keep it on a low setting.” Higher settings are reserved for truly massive folks, he explains—NFL linemen and other heavyweights.
Rusin suggests that novelty is part of the tool’s effectiveness and that the effects may diminish with frequent use. So instead of using the massager every day, rotate your approach: foam roll one day, use contrast baths on another, the massage gun on a third day, and so on.
How NOT to use a deep tissue massage gun!
Best deep tissue massage gun - Our Recommendations
Below are the UK’s Top 8 Massage Guns.
- Power Massage Gun Deep Tissue: FYLINA muscle massage gun produces 1800-3300 strokes per minute to reach tissue as deep as 10mm, can penetrate deeper muscle groups and relieve muscle soreness. Perfect for men & women athletes, fitness instructors, runners, swimmers & weightlifters
- 20 Intensity Modes and 6 Massage Heads: Equipped with 6 different shaped massage heads to help the users to relax different muscle groups. And provides targeted massage relaxation for fast recovery. This muscle massage gun provide 20 speed levels to help user get appropriate pressure to relieve muscle pain
- LCD Liquid Crystal: Upgraded to LCD liquid crystal touch screen, touch button, accurately control frequency. You can know how much power and what gear you are working on intuitively
- Super Battery Capacity and Intelligent Protection: Built in a 2500mA rechargeable battery, can use last up to 8 hours after 2-3 hours full recharge. By intelligent timing setting, massage gun will auto shut off after 10 minutes to avoid any potential hazards
- Newest Noise Reduction Technology: Super silent when massaging; Less than 50db, the noise in the process is similar to talking with others. After use, you can store it in a portable travel case to keep all the parts in perfect order and take it to anywhere you want
- Upgraded R3 Powerful Massage Gun Machine - We are dedicated to offering a more exquisite and intense sport massager gun. This muscle fascia gun is designed with premium metal housing and super powerful brushless motor, delivering high penetration, rejuvenating sore tissue and aching muscles.
- Ultra-Silent & Portable for Back Workout Athletes: Weighted only 1.5lbs, this deep tissue muscle sport massager is ultra compact and easy to grip. A super quiet brushless motor, as low as 45dB, makes it ideal for home, office or gym use!
- Up to 3200rpm(5 Speeds) & 5 Massager Heads: 5 speeds from 1800 to 3200rpm are provided for different muscle groups, aiding in sore muscle relief, relax and shape different muscle parts. Choosing from 5 different shaped massager heads, power on the device, you can start to relax your body parts.
- 2500mAh Large Battery Capacity & 10 minutes Auto-Off Protection: The muscle massage gun is equipped with a rechargeable 2500mAh high-quality lithium battery, and it can power a weeks' worth of workouts after fully charging. 10-minute auto-off feature for safety consideration.
- Convenient Type C Charging Port - No worry about charging when you travel with it in different countries. This deep tissue percussion muscle massager can be charged by USB(Type-C) with the regular phone adapter or 5V/2A adapter, and can be charged by power bank too.
- CORDLESS & RECHARGEABLE: Handheld wireless design, To charge, simply insert the massage stick into the base and connect the power cord.RENPHO Cordless massager is portable for use at home, office and anywhere. Powerful and versatile, this percussion massager’s built-in rechargeable battery lasts for approximately 140 minutes on a full charge.
- FULL-BODY MASSAGE: RENPHO deep tissue massager can help relax and relieve pain on feet, calf, shoulders, neck, back, muscles, arms, and legs. This hand held massager with 5 interchangeable head-attachments can each bring you a different experience.
- FOUR MODES & FIVE SPEEDS: RENPHO handheld massager offers 4 different modes. And 5 levels of speed can be adjusted to control the intensity. You can customize your massage to fit your needs. The Handheld Percussion Massager also applies infrared light to improve the effect of the massage.
- POWERFUL MOTOR & SAFETY DESIGN: Our cordless percussion massager motor is extremely powerful with up to 3600 pulses per minute, relieving pains effectively. It auto shuts-off after 20 minutes, preventing over-heating.
- Great gift for men, women, family, and friends.