What is the best hydration tablets?
Whether you’re just getting starting with your running journey or you’ve been running for years, it’s important to stay hydrated. Believe it or not many runners don’t drink enough and cause more harm to their bodys during the summer and winter months.
Because of this you need to read this article, take action and improve your health!
How do hydration tablets work?
It goes without saying that if you are dehydrated, you can combat this by drinking lots of water.
While this is important, the truth is that without replenishing what you have lost in electrolytes, your body will not be able to absorb as much of the water that you drink.
Taking sports hydration tablets is one of the most effective ways to maintain hydration, as they work wonders for replacing the missing electrolytes lost through exercise (as well as replenishing your fluids). If you want to know more about hydration, see our Sports Hydration qualification!
Normally hydration tablets contain a combination of salts, minerals, and glucose which will aid in the absorption of sodium (an essential element for rehydrating efficiently) through the wall of the intestine. When you correct the electrolyte balance in the blood, it will then allow the body to rehydrate by transporting water to where it’s needed most.
Now that’s covered, let’s move on to the benefits of taking electrolyte tablets…
Benefits of Hydration Tablets
You must be wondering; What is the best hydration tablets? We don’t blame you for being skeptical, there’s so many brands out, flavours and style and if you’re not familiar with the concept.
In a nutshell, electrolyte or hydration tablets offer a convenient method of replenishing fluids and are far more convenient for individuals or athletes who place themselves under a lot of physical stress.
When you take sports hydration tablets you are automatically avoiding sports drinks, which often contain high levels of sugar. If the drink contains more sugar than sodium, these ingredients will not be absorbed correctly. In fact, they will actually cause a build-up in the intestines rather than replenishing hydration levels, which does more harm than good.
Many athletes who use hydration tablets often consume them during physical activity, as this prevents them from sustaining an electrolyte imbalance (and therefore underperforming or becoming unwell). They also take care to measure their heart rate and calories burned for their own safety (and so that they can later analyse their performance), which you can do too with the help of heart rate monitors.
Now that we’ve discussed how hydration tablets work and the benefits that they bring, it’s time to take a look at the products that made it onto our shortlist. Within each review, we’ll tell you when to use the tablets in your workouts for maximum hydration!
Why is hydration important?
More than half of your body is made up of water so it’s clear that controlling your water intake is essential. Water is important for many processes in your body. This includes transporting nutrients and oxygen around your body, regulating your temperature and getting rid of waste products.
On average, you gain and lose around two and a half litres of water a day, although this varies from person to person and when you exercise, this increases significantly, mainly through sweating and faster breathing. But before you think that hydration is only important during exercise, your brain is also heavily made up of water, and insufficient hydration can significantly affect your brain function.
What happens if you don't top up your fluids?
One of the best indicators is the number of times you need to go to the toilet and the colour of your urine, which should be pale yellow. If you don’t have to go as often as you normally would, and your urine is of a dark colour, it’s likely that you’re dehydrated. Having a headache, and feeling lethargic and tired can also be a sign of dehydration. During exercise, a dry mouth or lip can also be a strong indicator.
If you are dehydrated, then you need to rehydrate your body with fluids. It’s better to drink little and often rather than trying to drink a lot all in one go. A drink with electrolytes is also beneficial because dehydration can also change your electrolyte balance and decrease key minerals in your body. Electrolytes are minerals in your body that help your body’s blood chemistry, muscle action and process. Sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium are all electrolytes. Ideally we should, of course, prevent dehydration in the first place so let’s have a look at what you can do to stop it happening!
When to Hydrate before, during and after you run.
Throughout the day/ Before Exercise
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) recommends a daily intake of 2.5 litres of water for men and 2.0 litres of water for women. This should mainly come from drinks but a small proportion (around 20-30%) should also come from food. Fruit and vegetables are high in water. Thirst is your most obvious indicator of hydration status and drinking to quench thirst can be a good habit. Of course, urine colour as mentioned earlier is another useful hydration indicator. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. But beware that some foods, like beetroot, can also change the colour of your urine.
If you’re dehydrated before you even start exercising, you will make your heart work harder and your body will find it more difficult to control your core temperature. All this can lead to a drop in performance, and potentially be risky to your health too. Starting well-hydrated means you can enjoy your sport more.
Being dehydrated can affect your energy levels. Your muscle cells are almost three-quarters water so if you’re short on fluids, you’ll feel the strain. Drinking little and often will give you the best chance of hitting your exercise targets. But what should you be drinking and how much? This largely depends on how much you sweat and how long you exercise for. Going by thirst can be good practise but there are many athletes’ that still don’t drink enough.
Even with a good hydration strategy, you often finish exercise mildly (or more severely in hot conditions) dehydrated, so it’s important to continue drinking after exercise. You should aim to replace 150% of your fluid lost through exercise within 3 hours of finishing. This means that if you finish exercising with a one litre fluid deficit, you should drink 1.5 litres. Not only will this be refreshing, but it will also restore your fluid levels. A drink that also contains carbohydrates and protein, like HIGH5 Recovery Drink, will also enhance your recovery and help grow your muscles.
- Restore and maintain a healthy hydration level throughout the day with an O.R.S electrolyte drink that helps your body to absorb fluids quickly and stay hydrated for longer than water alone
- Drop. Dissolve. Drink. – Simply drop 1-2 soluble tablets into 200ml - 500ml of water for a delicious naturally flavoured and refreshing hydration drink at home or on-the-go
- O.R.S Hydration supplement drinks help you to hydrate during travel and hot climates, sports and exercise, and general health and wellness support
- Suitable for the whole family – The O.R.S Hydration low-calorie (17kcal) formula is suitable for vegans and vegetarians, free from artificial preservatives, gluten and lactose-free
- Formulated by pharmacists to World Health Organisation oral rehydration standards for a safe and effective hydration formula
- Contains precise levels of sodium and other electrolytes to hydrate you before and during intense exercise
- One tablet makes 500 ml of drink, with virtually no calories
- Science in Sport delivering sports nutrition, so you can train harder, race faster and recover quicker
- Go hydro should be used as a part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle
- Item package may vary
- The HIGH5 Hydration Sports Pack is your essential pack to stay hydrated throughout the day. It contains 10x refreshing sugar free hydration tablets (HIGH5 ZERO) and a 750ml water bottle.
- HIGH5 ZERO hydration tablet is a refreshing sugar free electrolyte drink with zero caloriesthat makes it easy to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- HIGH5 ZERO hydration tablets contain precise levels of key electrolytes, sodium and magnesium, to meet your hydration requirements during training and racing.
- The HIGH5 Hydration Pack is not justfor sports. Simply add the rehydration tablets to water to help your body quickly absorb fluids and restore a healthy level of hydration.
- The HIGH5 Hydration Pack comes with a 750ml Sports Drinks Water Bottle, a professional sports water bottle that is easy to use during any exercise. The bottle has a leak-proof top, food grade plastic and is dishwasher safe.
- HIGH5 Energy Drink is a refreshing mix of carbohydrates and electrolytes, which helps to sustain performance and maintain hydration during exercise.
- HIGH5 Energy Drink contains a dual energy source with a 2:1 maltodextrin to fructose blend that helps deliver the maximum amount of carbohydrate quickly during endurance sport (90g per hour).
- HIGH5 Energy Drink contains sodium and potassium to replace the key minerals lost through sweating and promote optimal hydration.
- HIGH5 Energy Drink comes in a convenient bulk-size 1kg jar (21 servings).
- HIGH5 Energy Drink is made with natural fruit flavourings and is free from artificial sweeteners and colourings.
- ✅Uses a specific ratio of potassium, sodium, and glucose that delivers water and other key nutrients directly to your bloodstream, hydrating you faster and more efficiently than water alone.
- ✅ works faster - dissolves 20x faster than an electrolyte tablets to get you hydrated In no time!
- ✅ 1 packet can provide the same hydration as drinking 2-3 bottles of water. Maximize your hydration, replenish your body. Daily dangers of dehydration include headache, dizziness, confusion, muscle fatigue, muscle cramping, fainting and fuzzy thinking.
- ✅ 3X THE ELECTROLYTES & ½ THE SUGAR OF SPORTS DRINKS - Formulated to treat dehydration relief fast without the sugar and stickiness of traditional sports drinks. Precise ratio of electrolytes and glucose activates the body’s sodium-glucose co-transport system.
- ✅ GREAT FOR DEHYDRATION CAUSED BY HANGOVER, ILLNESS, WORKOUT, TRAVEL & HEAT EXHAUSTION - Prevent and recover faster from dehydration caused by hangover, illness, workout, travel & heat exhaustion with the dehydration solution meticulously formulated for fast absorption.
- Water Balance tablets to relieve water retention, provide bloating relief and to restore balance
- Measure the difference with relief of excess water weight, especially at the waist, hands and ankles
- Tablets contain dandelion root and dandelion leaf with extracts of Uva ursi and Buchu leaf
- Excellent alternative to a diet tea to help with fluid retention and weight loss as part of a diet
- Water Balance water retention tablets are a UK licensed THR herbal medicine; made in the UK by HRI
Whilst there are so many different brands available in the UK market, its very hard to recommend or advertise as the
“What is the best hydration tablets?
This is mainly down to personal preference in taste and how your stomach reacts to these tables, even though we don’t want this to put you off using hydration tablets as they can really help your running.
Many runners have tried these on race and been victim of runners trots, so we always recommend using these before race day. Most runner will be fine, but we would always recommend testing 1 or 2 brands to ensure they are suited to you.