Top 10 Mens Running Jackets for 2021:
A good running jacket is vital in winter – you need something to keep you motivated to get out and pound the pavements in the chillier months. It’s an investment, but finding something warm, waterproof and with good ventilation will make all the different to your running.
Here’s our list of the very best women’s running jackets that will ensure you stay dry without overheating this winter.
What To Look For In Mens Running Jacket:
Ideally you want to keep the wind and rain out, without getting too hot and bothered inside your jacket. Water-resistant (showerproof) jackets will keep a bit of drizzle at bay, while a fully waterproof jacket will keep you dry in a downpour, but it’ll be less breathable.
When shopping for a jacket you’ll pay more for the latest technical fabrics that keep you dry and help you avoid overheating. Top-of-the-range jackets will include flat, sealed seams, breathable panels, waterproof zips and so on.
A hood can be useful – it will keep the wind and rain out better than a hat – but if your normal routes cross a lot of roads, beware, because hoods can reduce your peripheral vision.
And if you’re running near roads, staying visible in low light should be a key consideration. Opt for something with reflective elements, while flashy colours and bold patterns can help you be seen from a distance by traffic.
We also think zippable pockets are essential – no-one wants to leave their phone at home, right? – so make sure your chosen jacket has one that’s large enough.
And finally, while any outdoorsy jacket can keep the wind and rain at bay, a running-specific jacket keeps rustling to a minimum and affords you more freedom of movement. Start your search with our latest round-up of running jackets for women, ordered from least to most expensive.
What run jacket features do you need?
Depending on the kind of running you do, you’ll have different demands and expectations from your kit.
For example, if you run long distances off-road you might need carrying capacity for food whilst road runners doing shorter distances can get away with something a bit lighter.
Here are a few common features to take into consideration.
A lightweight running jacket that can pack down into the corner of a gym bag or pocket is perfect to have on hand in case the weather takes a turn. Most are water-resistant, which means they’ll withstand a bit of drizzle but will eventually soak through.
Packable jackets that are fully waterproof and breathable used to be pretty hard to find but GORE has found the magic formula with their Shakedry fabric.
Whilst some runners prefer looser styles and others prefer a more streamlined fit, the key here is to wear something you can move in. When you try it on, do you have your full range of arm movement?
If you’ll be scrambling up and down inclines or incorporating some mobility drills into your workout, look for jackets that incorporate stretch panels and flatlock seams that won’t irritate.
If you want a close-fitting jacket, make sure that it does up easily without feeling restrictive when you’re taking deep breaths.
Modern running jackets are made to be breathable. If the skin can’t breathe, you end up feeling clammy which can have a chilling effect.
For higher-intensity activity, look for jackets that have armpit vents which allow body heat to escape without letting the cold and rain in.
What kind of weather will you be running in and for how long? If you’re running shorter distances in urban areas you might be able to get away with a more lightweight water-and-wind-resistant jacket.
If you’re battling the elements for a prolonged period of time, it’s worth investing in something that will offer protection. As well as water-and-wind-proof fabrics, look for:
- Taped seams so your jacket doesn’t leak.
- Adjustable cuffs so you can seal warmth in and keep the rain out.
- A peaked hood that won’t blow down.
- Mesh lining to keep moisture away from the skin, or fleece lining for added warmth.
If it’s Waterproof jacket you need, which is more likely to be during the darker months. Hi-viz colours will make you stand out during daylight hours – they work by reflecting what little light there may be around and can appear up to 200 times brighter than conventional colours.
If there’s no daylight, hi-viz colours become a lot less effective so make sure your jacket also incorporates some reflective elements. Retro-reflective bounce light back in the direction it came from which means they glow under headlights and street lights. But as many seasoned running will recommend always use a running headtorch or running chest light in the dark. Even under street lights many drivers cant see you!!
Think about how far you’ll be running and what you’ll be carrying. Pockets add bulk and complexity which can push the price up. If you run shorter distances, you might be able to get away with no pockets at all. If you normally go far enough to need energy top-ups, you may want capacity for snacks.
Music lovers should look for media-specific pockets which normally have cable-routing to keep headphone cables out of the way.
- BTR Waterproof High Visibility Jacket is a Lightweight Jacket that has a Reflective Trim & a Photoluminescence Strip so you can also Glow in the Dark!!!
- BTR High Vis Waterproof Jacket is a lightweight layer that has a mesh lining & a back air vent to help ensure that you don’t stick to it if you are working up a sweat
- Be Seen in the Day & in the Dark. With both a Totally Reflective Silver Trim that Shines when light hits it & a Photoluminescence Strip that can glow up to 8 hours after exposure to 1 hour of light you can mix comfort & High Visibility in One!
- An air vent across the back, mesh lining, soft lined neck, hook & loop sleeve adjusters & an elasticated drawstring around the bottom lets you wear it the BTR High Visibility Waterproof Active Lightweight Jacket in comfort.
- Available in Men size Large & Extra Large. Material is not stretchy, you may wish to order a size larger than usual to allow for extra movement. See Sizing. Designed with a longer length sleeves & a longer back length so it doesn’t ride up if you are leaning over, cycling or horse riding or motorcycling. With BTR 2 year Guarantee
- UA Microthread technology in the fabric dries faster, won’t cling to you, won’t chafe and stretches without absorbing sweat
- Ergonomic design keeps seams off high abrasion areas and increases durability
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction
- Material wicks sweat and dries really fast
- Adjustable hood
- Men's vest for runners in all weather conditions
- Form Fit/Runner-specific cut
- GORE-TEX INFINIUM Technology: Windproof, highly water-repellent and extremely breathable
- Partial thermal protection, Close-fitting stand up collar, 2 front pockets with zipper
- GORE R5 GORE-TEX INFINIUM Vest, Size: S, Colour: black, 100548
- 20,000 HH and 20,000 B-1 - Provides extreme weather protection and keeps you comfortable and dry during harsh weather conditions.
- Full-Length Front Zip With Aquaguard YKK Zip And Storm Flap - Works hard to prevent weather entry.
- Pocket - Allows the jacket to be quickly stowed into its own pocket for easy transport.
- Race Ready - Fulfils all the criteria for race events.
- 360-Degree Reflectivity - Enhances visibility during low-light conditions.
- Sundried's premium running and cycling jacket is perfect for active men and women who need a breathable, lightweight jogging jacket for rainy autumn days and cold winter weather.
- Please order a size larger than usual as the jacket is quite snug. The super lightweight, breathable materials are made from 100% recycled materials and feature sweat-wicking technology so you won't get hot and sweaty underneath. The jacket folds away into its own small bag so if you do get too warm, you can pack it away and take it with you. Perfect for cycling holidays or putting into a gym bag.
- Water-resistant and reflective, this men's and women's foldable jacket is perfect for training in cold weather and rain. Suitable for wearing while running, cycling, or any outdoor sports.
- Our windbreaker features a discreet zip-pocket to keep your valuables safe with peace of mind. The elasticated cuffs, and lining on our sports jacket give superior protection while the super soft fabric at the neck provides ultimate comfort.
- Sundried guarantee satisfaction, but if you have any issues whatsoever don't hesitate to get in touch so that we can find a resolution as quickly as possible.
- Versatile men's jersey for cool weather conditions
- Form Fit/Runner specific cut
- GORE WINDSTOPPER Technology: Windproof, water-repellent and extremely breathable
- Stretch inserts, Chest pocket with zipper, Can be worn with a backpack
- GORE R3 Partial GORE WINDSTOPPER Shirt, Size: S, Colour: Black/Blue, 100287
- UA Storm technology repels water without sacrificing breathability
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Anti-odor technology prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes
- Ergonomic shaped hem provides the perfect amount of coverage
- Qualifier storm run packable graphic jacket
- Under Armour official Product
- Fall Winter 2019 collection