BEST WATERPROOF SPRAY 2022
Our pick of the best kettlebells for your fitness routine
If you are an outdoor person, investing in an outdoor fabric waterproofing spray could be money well spent. The best waterproofing spray for outdoor fabric is extremely handy for protecting your gear against elements in the outdoors or replenishing old items which require better protection.
The spray functions by adding an extra layer of protection to the surface of your clothing and gear – allowing them to repel water. However, the best waterproofing spray for outdoor fabric will maintain breathability and not lock condensation in.
The best part about waterproofing sprays is that they work for all your outdoor gear fabrics – whether it’s on your boots, clothes, or backpacks. Below, we share an in-depth review of our top picks for the best waterproofing spray for outdoor fabrics to help you find the right protector for your gear.
WHAT ARE WATERPROOF SPRAYS?
A waterproof spray is a product used to treat fabrics to make them resistant to water. Commonly used on outdoor gear like jackets, tents, and hiking boots, waterproof sprays have become more widely used by people looking to protect their footwear from water damage. While the formula varies from each product, good waterproof sprays use a liquid fluoropolymer to cover the fabric with a protective seal that repels water, preventing it from getting soaked from water.
WHY SHOULD YOU BUY A GOOD WATERPROOF SPRAY?
The best waterproof sprays can protect clothing, footwear, and other materials from being saturated with water. This makes it a fantastic investment for all kinds of situations, most notably camping or hiking trips, although many people use them to protect their everyday footwear from rain.
By protecting materials from water, the spray helps to keep you dry and comfortable, which is a huge advantage for anyone spending time outdoors. Moreover, the spray protects your belongings too, preventing common problems from water like staining and discolouration.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT WATERPROOF SPRAY?
Not sure what to look for in the best waterproof spray? Here are some things to consider:
- Drying Time: The drying time of the spray can vary significantly from each product, so always make sure to check this before you buy. The last thing you want is to buy a spray you think dries instantly only to discover it takes several hours. Drying times vary from under an hour to overnight, with those taking longer often being the most water-resistant.
- Uses: It helps to think about what you are using the spray on to help find a suitable product. For example, some sprays are designed for tents and outdoor clothing while others are designed for fashion footwear, and some can be used on all kinds of products. Be sure to check what the waterproof spray is recommended for before you buy it!
- Materials: Not all waterproof sprays work with every material, so make sure to clarify if it is compatible with whatever you are using. For example, waterproof sprays designed for coats and jackets may not be compatible with the materials used in trainers or boots, so you need to check to see whether the spray is suitable for the material.
- Durability: Not all sprays have the same duration, which is why you must check how long the spray lasts and whether it is enough for your needs. For example, strong waterproof sprays designed for tents can last several months, while those for clothes and footwear usually only last a few weeks at most.
WHAT IS THE BEST KIND OF WATERPROOF SPRAY IN THE UK?
There are two main types of waterproof sprays available to buy:
- Water-Based Waterproof Sprays: This type of waterproof spray is water-based, usually being the best type of spray for clothes and footwear. The durability is not quite the level of silicone-based sprays but it still lasts for a good length of time when applied to clothing and footwear.
- Silicone-Based Waterproof Sprays: This type of spray features silicone to provide an extra strong protective layer across the material. This is best used for outdoor gear like backpacks, tents, and anything made from heavy-duty materials.
TOP 10 LIST OF WATERPROOF SPRAYS IN THE UK (FEBRUARY 2022)
1. Hendlex: Durable Waterproofing Spray
Nanoparticles Coat Individual Fibres to Form a Protective Layer
Give your fabrics unbeatable protection from water and stains with this spray from Hendlex. The nanoparticles coat each fibre individually to form a protective layer to keep your fabric clean and dry, whilst also letting it breathe. It is ideal for use in your car, on outdoor and sports clothing and to seal tents and rucksacks.
We’ve marked this fantastic product down slightly as the pump spray on the bottle is very fragile and prone to breakage. However, if it’s working fully, this is a very effective waterproofer. We also love how it has lots of different applications so you can use it on almost anything!
2. Mountval: Best Waterproof spray for Clothes
Effectively Restore the Waterproofing of Your Garments
Mountval’s Textile Shield is designed to restore the water repellence of outdoor garments where it has worn out, and it works to protect your items without affecting their breathability. The formula is totally solvent-free and it is suitable for use on climatic membranes such as GORE-TEX.
Unfortunately, this spray has quite an unpleasant smell, which is a real shame as it does tend to linger on the clothing you apply it to. But if you don’t find it offensive, then this is very easy to apply and effective and helps clothing withstand even the heaviest of downpours.
Handle thickness: 32mm; Weight range: 8kg-32kg
3. Mountval: Best Odourless Waterproof Spray
Odourless and Breathable With a Wide Range of Uses
Never worry about getting caught in the rain again with the help of this waterproofing spray. It’s suitable for all your items whether they’re real leather, nubuck, suede, textile or canvas. It is totally colourless and breathable, and again, it’s suitable for use on technical fabrics such as GORE-TEX.
As well as having such a great range of uses, another plus is that it dries totally odourless. While the manufacturer doesn’t specify how often your items need to be topped up, we found the spray wore off quicker than we would have hoped so it may need reapplying regularly.
4. Grangers: Best 2 in 1 Waterproof Spray
Breathable With an Environmentally-Conscious Formula
Grangers have specially formulated this spray to fully restore the water-repellent finish of all your garments made from technical fabrics. It protects while maximising breathability and it is bluesign approved, which means it has been formulated with sustainability and protecting the environment in mind.
Once again this product does need to be applied carefully otherwise it can leave white marks on your fabric. However, if it is applied correctly, it is a reliable and easy way to restore the water-repelling qualities of your outdoorsy garments.
5: Scotchgard: Heavy Duty Waterproof Spray
The Ultimate Protection Against Bad Weather Conditions
This heavy-duty spray from well-known brand Scotchgard offers the ultimate protection against bad weather conditions, and its durable water protection is sure to keep you and your clothing drier for longer. It is ideal for a wide range of uses and, like the best sprays, it won’t affect the fabric’s breathability.
It does have quite a strong chemically smell and should be used in a well-ventilated area, but as soon as that dissipates there is no trace of it. The spray gives a good layer of protection, and as soon as it’s dry you can literally see the water roll off your clothing!
6. Nikwaz Tx: Best Waterproof Spray for Raincoats
Able to Both Add or Renew Waterproofing as Needed
Nikwax’s spray waterproofer both adds or renews water repellency as required and also revives the breathability of your items. It helps to prolong the life of your gear by optimising its outdoor performance, and its water-based formula is fluorocarbon-free and environmentally responsible.
It is also very easy to use (just note it needs to be applied when the item is wet) and it works especially well on technical water-wicking fabrics. One of these bottles is enough to treat one item of clothing, so if you need to proof multiple items, we suggest grabbing a couple of bottles.